Marketing Director – GLOBE™ Series
GLOBE Series is a dynamic, growth-oriented entreprenurial company based in Vancouver serving an international community of business professionals with industry conferences focused on sustainability and environmental business opportunities (www.globeseries.com). The GLOBE event series was established in 1990, and has evolved into the preeminent forum for sustainability-related professionals. Each of the iconic GLOBE conferences attracts thousands of thought-leaders from more than 50 countries every two years to Vancouver. As such, it is the largest and longest-running environmental business conference in the world, convening senior level executives from corporations of every sector, as well as top government policy and regulators, environmental technology and service providers, influential NGOs, financiers, international agencies, academics and more.
As we embark on a new phase of the GLOBE Series, we are actively seeking exemplary talent to help us maintain our lead as the world’s most important environmental business event.
The Marketing Director will report to the Executive Director, and will be responsible for the development and implementation of comprehensive marketing strategy and promotion plans for all GLOBE Series events. This position is a full time position and requires a savvy, creative professional with at least 7-10 years of solid experience managing interactive, direct response marketing campaigns in a B2B environment.
A highly motivated, self-directed candidate will have expertise in achieving aggressive marketing and sales objectives while closely adhering to budgets. This position’s responsibilities include meeting established revenue objectives through marketing activities that include email and direct mail development, web site optimization, search engines and social media marketing, online and traditional advertising, and more.
Knowledge/Skills and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business-related discipline preferred
- Superior project management skills, managing multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and providing clear communication of timelines and expectations to team members
- Proficient at working independently and within a team environment
- Experience managing staff and contractors (web designers, graphic artists, etc.)
- Ability to analyze markets and customer needs and develop marketing plans and recommendations based on those needs
- Proficient understanding of web site functionality and email marketing best practices
- Ability to define and track the key metrics for email and online marketing success
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, organizational, and written communication skills
- Expertise in Microsoft Office software applications – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- InDesign and Photoshop skills a definite asset, as well as Salesforce or a similar CRM database tool.
- Experience and success with SEM, SEO, mobile websites, apps and leveraging Social and New Media to expand brand
- Web analytics reports and direct mail campaign analyses to continuously improve web site usability and increase conversion rates.
- Preferred candidates will possess strong copy writing skills and experience in event management.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Marketing Department by ensuring that the appropriate structures, systems, and competencies are developed in order to meet and exceed the goals of the marketing plan and the organization as a whole.
- Work closely with the senior management team on new product (event) development and rollout strategies; monitor competitors and identify unique selling propositions and clear competitive differentiation points.
- Develop a detailed marketing calendar that clearly depicts what needs to be done and when in the lead up to each specific event, and ensure the execution of this plan is communicated to all staff and adhered to.
- Organise and direct marketing and strategy meetings on a regular basis to review the strategy and promotion programs.
- Work directly with sales reps to monitor feedback and ensure they have the best tools possible to achieve their goals.
- Work with public relations specialists to source advertising opportunities. Create and place innovative, effective advertising in the press – local, regional, national and specialist publications – as well as radio, television, and on-line.
- Develop a detailed plan for and coordinate participation at other trade shows, conferences, and related industry events that will maximize sales opportunities for our own event products.
- Produce a comprehensive integrated social media plan with goals for social media activity and outcomes that speak to and engage our various market segments effectively.
- Execute daily social media (Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter at the very least) until a Marketing Coordinator is in place.
- Develop a strategy and provide content for a blog on the GLOBE Series website.
- Manage the production of marketing materials, including leaflets, posters, flyers, newsletters, e-newsletters, video, etc.
- Work with the webmaster to create and maintain compelling web pages, facilitate online conference registrations, manage search engine marketing and social networking media initiatives; analyze and report on web site user activity reports on a regular basis.
- Write and drive the production of all marketing publications and arrange for their effective distribution.
- Liaise and maintain relationships with designers, printers, and mailing houses.
- Participate in relevant industry events, receptions, and breakfasts (at times outside of office hours) to enhance community and potential customer engagement in relevant sectors and maximize dialogue with other participants.
- Keep up on industry news via key opinion leaders and industry web sites to ensure that significant developments in the industry are identified and tied into marketing efforts where applicable.
- Manage and oversee a junior Marketing Coordinator to help with execution of the above at peak times.
- Be accountable for the maintenance and upkeep of customer databases; continually striving to build robust mailing lists in our target market.
- Conduct market research, for example using customer questionnaires and focus groups.
You and the Company
- This is not a travel heavy position, but minimal travel may be required.
- The event industry is cyclical in nature, therefore deadlines are hard and hours are guaranteed to be longer in the final weeks leading up to an event. Flexibility to accommodate this is essential. The flip side – it’s an exciting time. Think of adrenalin as your friend.
- Although the work is fast-paced, we strive hard to maintain a working environment that is warm, innovative, inspiring, and maximizes employee engagement. We value your talent, and are committed to nurturing the professional and personal growth of all staff.
- GLOBE Series offers a professional environment where people can work smart and lead balanced lives. We want you to thrive. Although we like to keep the team cohesive by encouraging as much face-to-face time as possible, as long as you continue to produce stellar work, flex-time working and work-from-home options are possible.
- Because we’re a relatively small outfit, everyone’s opinion counts. We expect our staff to help build the best culture possible to encourage happiness and productivity.
Please address resumes to the attention of Nancy Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.